Contest-Winning Potato Pan Rolls
Total TimePrep: 55 min. + rising Bake: 20 min.
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 Eggland's Best eggs
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 6 to 7 cups all-purpose flour
- In a large saucepan, bring potatoes and water to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking liquid; cool liquid to 110° to 115°. Mash potatoes; set aside 1 cup to cool to 110°-115° (save remaining potatoes for another use).
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast and sugar in reserved potato liquid; let stand for 5 minutes. Add the reserved mashed potatoes, butter, honey, oil, eggs, salt and 1-1/2 cups flour; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down and turn onto a floured surface; divide into 30 pieces. Shape each piece into a ball. Place 10 balls each in three greased 9-in. round baking pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400°. Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
Nutrition Facts1 roll: 165 calories, 5g fat (2g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 193mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Feb 6, 2018
These rolls are wonderful! excellent taste and light texture. absolutely delicious and so simple to make!
Jan 31, 2018
You can use this dough for rolls, cinnamon rolls, pizza dough. Amazing.
May 8, 2017
We love these lite rolls! I could eat the whole bunch!
Dec 18, 2014
Apr 14, 2012
I have made these several times over the years and they are to die for! They are a bit of work, though, so I only make them for special occasions.
Oct 31, 2009
Highly recommended. Have made these twice now. Everyone loved them - excellent taste and light texture. (Just make sure to make them in a light silver cake pan, not a dark pan or you'll end up slicing off the dark bottoms!)
Oct 13, 2009
This recipe is a keeper. A holiday favorite around our house.
Dec 29, 2008
These rolls are wonderful. Very light and delectable. I baked them for our Christmas dinner and received raves on them.