Raspberry-Almond Jelly Roll
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + cooling Bake: 15 min.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1-1/2 teaspoons almond extract, divided
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract, divided
- 3/4 cup cake flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 3/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1-1/4 cups slivered almonds, toasted and divided
- 2/3 cup seedless raspberry jam
- Fresh raspberries and mint leaves, optional
- Preheat oven to 375°. Line a greased 15x10x1-in. baking pan with waxed paper. Grease paper; set aside.
- Beat eggs 3 minutes. Gradually add granulated sugar; beat until mixture becomes thick and lemon-colored, about 2 minutes. Stir in water, 1 teaspoon almond extract and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients; fold into egg mixture. Spread batter evenly in prepared pan.
- Bake until cake springs back when lightly touched, 12-15 minutes. Cool 5 minutes. Invert onto a kitchen towel dusted with confectioners' sugar. Gently peel off waxed paper. Roll up cake in the towel jelly-roll style, starting with a short side. Cool completely on a wire rack.
- Meanwhile, beat cream, confectioners' sugar and remaining extracts until soft peaks form. Refrigerate half of the whipped cream. Chop 1 cup almonds; fold into remaining cream. Unroll cake; spread with jam to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with almond mixture.
- Roll up again. Place seam side down on a serving platter. Frost top, sides and ends with remaining whipped cream. Refrigerate, covered, about 1 hour. Top with remaining almonds; serve, if desired, with raspberries and mint.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 472 calories, 26g fat (12g saturated fat), 129mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (43g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Dec 4, 2017
Make sure you grease the wax paper well, very tasty. Janet. VFE
Feb 11, 2011
Lovely and delicious. Plan to make again for Valentine's Day. Will add some fresh berries with the jam to brighten the flavor. Always get recipe requests when I serve this.