Holiday Kipferl Cookie
My family has been making the classic kipferl cookie on December 1 every year since I can remember. During the last two weeks of December, we make them with the addition of dried cranberries and toasted pecans for Christmas time. —Brooke Maynard, Poughkeepsie, New York
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 2/3 cup blanched almonds
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons cold butter, cubed
- 3 large egg yolks
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, chopped
- Confectioners' sugar
- Pulse almonds in a food processor until finely ground. Add flour, granulated sugar and salt; pulse until combined. Add butter; pulse until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. In a small bowl, whisk egg yolks and water. Add to almond butter mixture, and pulse until dough forms. Shape dough into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Divide dough into fourths. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion into an 8-in. circle. Sprinkle with pecans and cranberries; lightly press into dough. Cut each circle into 12 wedges. Roll up wedges from the wide end; place point side down 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Curve ends to form crescents.
- Bake until lightly browned, 12-15 minutes. Carefully roll warm cookies in confectioners' sugar. Cool on wire racks. Sprinkle with additional confectioners' sugar. Store in an airtight container.
Editor's NoteTo toast nuts, bake in a shallow pan in a 350° oven for 5-10 minutes or cook in a skillet over low heat until lightly browned, stirring occasionally.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 85 calories, 6g fat (2g saturated fat), 20mg cholesterol, 52mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Holiday Kipferl Cookie in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2017