Holiday Cutout Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 5 min./batch
Makesabout 10 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup shortening
- 3 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 6 tablespoons evaporated milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 4 to 6 tablespoons half-and-half cream
- Food coloring of your choice, optional
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large bowl, cream butter, shortening and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk and extracts. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough into four portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate, covered, overnight or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 400°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. holiday cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are lightly brown, 5-7 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, vanilla and enough cream to reach a spreading consistency. If desired, beat in food coloring. Frost and decorate cookies as desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 87 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 11mg cholesterol, 36mg sodium, 13g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Mar 4, 2019
These are the worst Cookies I ever made. For me it was the aftertaste. Along with all the other problems, the avertaste was awful. This needs to be removed from the internet. Wow, what a waste of ingredients here.
Dec 14, 2018
I was nervous after reading the review that the dough was too sticky. At first, it was. I reworked with a little more flour, and it started to cooperate. I was afraid the cookies would be tough, but they weren't! Even the very last scraps that I baked. This is the best sugar cutout recipe that I've found to date.
Dec 10, 2018
I followed this recipe exactly and refrigerated the dough overnight, but when I tried to roll it out it stuck to everything! I tried adding a bit more flour, and then it just fell apart. I'm so disappointed in this recipe, the dough smelled and tasted really good, if only it wouldn't have been so sticky. ):
Dec 22, 2017
I am baking these cookies as I write this...these are such GOOD cookies. I will be making these every Christmas!!!
Dec 3, 2017
tasty, tender inside, and good texture! I refrigerated the dough overnight before I could roll them out, however. I also baked at 375F for 5 minutes. Great!
Dec 22, 2016
Easy and oh so delicious! Get your cookie cutters out and enjoy!