Christmas Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min.
Makesabout 8 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- White candy coating
- Green paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in the sour cream, honey and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt white coating; stir until smooth. Stir in food coloring; drizzle over cookies.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 16, 2013
I haven't baked these yet so I can't rate them, but had to put in one so I put in a 1 star rating. I wanted to know what is"ground mace"?? I've never heard of it before. Thanks so much!!
Mar 5, 2012
This was a nice, soft sugar cookie. However, the flavor from the mace was overpowering. I would suggest either using 1/2 of the amount called for in the recipe or substitute either cinnamon or a little nutmeg in its place. I will make these cookies again, just with modifications to fit my family's tastes
Dec 21, 2010
My family loves this cookie. I thought the dough was easy to roll and cut. They are very moist after baking.
Dec 17, 2010
Excellent taste and texture.
Dec 27, 2009
My family and friends loved these cookies! I will make this every Christmas.
Dec 11, 2009
The perfect recipe! It works just like it says. Only change is that I rolled 1/4 the dough out at a time between sheets of plastic wrap. Nice flavor and great texture.