Santa Claus Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 45 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 6 tablespoons 2% milk
- 2-1/4 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Red colored sugar, miniature semisweet chocolate chips and Red Hots, optional
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking soda, cream of tartar, nutmeg and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. Santa-shaped cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake 8-10 minutes or until light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- For frosting, in a large bowl, beat butter until creamy. Beat in milk, vanilla and salt. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Pipe onto cookies and decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 186 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 56mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (22g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 31, 2018
Love the nutmeg flavor but my cutout shapes spread too much even after chilling the dough.
Dec 31, 2016
Awesome, great flavor sugar cookie! I didn't make 'Santa' cookie, but used this recipefor my cut out Christmas cookies. Love the touch of nutmeg. I didn't use the frosting, so review is only on cookie.