Jolly Ginger Reindeer Cookies
Total TimePrep: 50 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup molasses
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground allspice
- ROYAL ICING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 to 2 tablespoons miniature semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 to 2 tablespoons Red Hots
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk next six ingredients; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. gingerbread boy-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake until set, 10-12 minutes. Cool on pans 1 minute. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, combine confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Cut a small hole in the tip of a pastry bag or in a corner of a food-safe plastic bag; transfer icing to bag. Keep any unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- To decorate cookies, place gingerbread boys on a work surface with heads facing you. Pipe antlers onto legs. With icing, attach chocolate chips for eyes and Red Hots for noses. Let stand until set. Store in airtight containers.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 106 calories, 2g fat (1g saturated fat), 9mg cholesterol, 58mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (13g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 24, 2014
Nov 8, 2014
I was really excited to see this recipe! I think almost everyone has that cookie cutter, so its so nice you can get your reindeer & gingerbread men done at the same time!