Santa Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 4 dozen
- 1-1/2 cups butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups shortening
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 6-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cans (12 ounces each) whipped vanilla frosting
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- Brown and red M&M's minis
- Red colored sugar
- Red jimmies
- Cream first four ingredients until light and fluffy. Beat in vanilla and eggs, one at a time. Whisk together flour, baking soda, cream of tartar and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture. Divide dough in half; shape into disks. Wrap in plastic; refrigerate until firm enough to roll, 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 375°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. heart-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake until firm, 8-10 minutes (do not overbake). Remove from pans to wire racks; cool completely.
- For frosting, beat canned frosting, butter and confectioners' sugar until well-blended. Cut a hole in the tip of a pastry bag or corner of a food-safe plastic bag; insert #16 star tip and fill with frosting. Placing hearts point side up, use a small amount of frosting to attach brown M&M's for eyes and red M&M's for noses. Use remaining frosting to pipe hats, beards and mustaches. Sprinkle hats with red sugar; add jimmies for mouths.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 299 calories, 15g fat (6g saturated fat), 28mg cholesterol, 198mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 12, 2020
Made these for Christmas ...easy and delicious cookies ! I used royal icing to decorate and they turned out adorable !!
Dec 12, 2017
Can't wait to try this!!
Oct 10, 2016
I have used this recipe several times and it always turns out excellent. I cut this recipe in half because it makes way too many cookies
Apr 15, 2014
Loved the cookies!!!!
Dec 18, 2012
Although I didn't end up doing santa faces, the cookies and frosting turned out amazing!!