Gingerbread Men Cookies
Total TimePrep: 40 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2 dozen
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Frosting of choice
- Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and water. In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients minus frosting; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; cover. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost as desired.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 cookie (calculated without frosting): 118 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 2, 2019
Tori, check your spices. Maybe they’re out of date. With all the flavorful ingredients in this cookie I’m not sure how they cold be flavorless and boring.
Nov 12, 2019
They have no flavour... very boring cookies
Nov 2, 2019
Great recipe. Better than the one I've been using for years! DON'T FORGET TO USE YOUR GINGERBREAD GIRL COOKIE CUTTERS< TOO...I call them "Spice girls"!
Dec 17, 2018
Anya, It would be best to use a genuine gingerbread house recipe. One that does not include eggs. Gingerbread houses are usually displayed for a while before eaten so you don't want anything that could be dangerous health wise sitting out. This is a great recipe for cookies.
Dec 15, 2018
they spread somewhat ... they flavor I hope ripens to give more snap ....
Dec 3, 2018
Just a quick question, could this recipe be used to make a gingerbread house?
Jan 12, 2018
This recipe is pretty much flawless. The balance of molasses and spices is just right. It's great for cut-out cookies because scraps can be re-rolled without coming out different.Roll 1/8 inch thick for crisp cookies, or 1/4 inch thick for chewy cookies.
Dec 28, 2017
These are pretty good. this was my first time making gingerbread cookies. i was expecting more gingery to then kinda like ginger snaps....with the addition of powdered sugar icing these taste more like sugar cookie cutouts.
Dec 25, 2017
This recipe is very good. A nice soft cookie with firm edges. I like a bit more intense ginger flavor but the taste really is very good. I needed to down size from a recipe I have made for years that made about 12 dozen cookies. This is now my go to recipe.
Dec 19, 2017
Look no further. Do not increase the spice. You will be thrilled.