Ginger Creme Sandwich Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen
- 3/4 cup shortening
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons ground ginger
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/3 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons lemon extract
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Cream shortening and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and molasses. In another bowl, whisk flour, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Refrigerate, covered, overnight.
- Preheat oven to 375°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; roll in granulated sugar. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Flatten with a fork, forming a crisscross pattern. Bake until set (do not overbake), 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- Meanwhile, combine filling ingredients until smooth. Spread over bottoms of half of the cookies; cover with remaining cookies. Refrigerate.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich cookie: 184 calories, 8g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 154mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (19g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 22, 2019
This was a good recipe and I used half the recipe as a test. They were good, No doubt. The 2nd half of the batch I added some freshly grated ginger to the mix, 1/2 tsp more of the cinnamon and 1 tsp vanilla...vanilla because I wanted the pop of ginger but I didn't want it to bite me back. Vanilla mellowed the tone a bit. I would make these again with my changes and I think I would save it for Autumn - all those warm, Fall spices!
Jul 6, 2012
Good but not spectacular enough to make again. I love to WOW my guests with popping flavors.