Gingerbread Men Cookies
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2-2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- Frosting of choice
- 1. Cream butter and brown sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in molasses, egg and water. In another bowl, whisk together remaining ingredients minus frosting; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; cover. Refrigerate until easy to handle, about 30 minutes.
- 2. Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 4-in. gingerbread man cookie cutter. Place 2 in. apart on greased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake until edges are firm, 8-10 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Frost as desired.
1 cookie (calculated without frosting): 118 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 17mg cholesterol, 128mg sodium, 19g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Dec 17, 2018Anya, It would be best to use a genuine gingerbread house recipe. One that does not include eggs. Gingerbread houses are usually displayed for a while before eaten so you don't want anything that could be dangerous health wise sitting out. This is a great recipe for cookies.
Dec 15, 2018they spread somewhat ... they flavor I hope ripens to give more snap ....
Dec 3, 2018Just a quick question, could this recipe be used to make a gingerbread house?
Jan 12, 2018
This recipe is pretty much flawless. The balance of molasses and spices is just right. It's great for cut-out cookies because scraps can be re-rolled without coming out different.
Roll 1/8 inch thick for crisp cookies, or 1/4 inch thick for chewy cookies.
Dec 28, 2017
These are pretty good. this was my first time making gingerbread cookies. i was expecting more gingery to then kinda like ginger snaps....with the addition of powdered sugar icing these taste more like sugar cookie cutouts.
Dec 25, 2017
This recipe is very good. A nice soft cookie with firm edges. I like a bit more intense ginger flavor but the taste really is very good. I needed to down size from a recipe I have made for years that made about 12 dozen cookies. This is now my go to recipe.
Dec 19, 2017
Look no further. Do not increase the spice. You will be thrilled.
Dec 19, 2017
Best gingerbread cookies I’ve ever had! Amazing recipe! Thanks
Dec 18, 2017
Although I am an experienced baker, I like to trust and follow the recipe as written the first time I try it before I make any changes. Unfortunately there was too much liquid in this recipe and it was a sticky mess. I wish i had read all of the reviews before trying it. It seems that everyone complained about the extra water or they didn't use it to start with. Grrrrrrrrr. It shouldn't be in a compilation of recipes if we are all having this much trouble.
Dec 31, 1969
can the ground allspice be either substituted or left out?