Gingerbread Cutout Christmas Cookies
Turn your cookie platter into a winter wonderland. One classic gingerbread boy cookie cutter can make a big batch of Christmas characters. —Donna Sasser Hinds, Milwaukie, Oregon
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1/2 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- REINDEER DECORATIONS:
- Ganache Icing (see below), green decorating icing, colored sprinkles, Tiny White Mighty Mint candies and red M&M's Minis
- ELF DECORATIONS:
- Ganache Icing (see below), white and black decorating icings, red and green Fruit Roll-Ups, holly berry quins, AirHeads Xtremes Sour Belt candies, red jimmies and yellow M&M's Minis
- SANTA DECORATIONS:
- Canned vanilla frosting, vanilla frosting tinted with red food coloring, black decorating icing, red-colored sugar, red nonpareils, snowflake sprinkles, white large dot quins, black licorice twists, white sugar pearls and yellow diamond-shaped sprinkles
- In a large saucepan, combine the butter, sugar, molasses and vinegar; bring to a boil, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; cool to lukewarm. Stir in egg. Combine the flour, baking soda, ginger, cinnamon and salt; stir into molasses mixture to form a soft dough.
- Divide dough into thirds. Shape each portion into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-1/2-in. gingerbread boy cookie cutter. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-9 minutes or until edges are firm. Remove to wire racks; cool completely. Decorate as desired.
To make Ganache Icing: Microwave 1 cup semisweet chocolate chips, 3 tablespoons half-and-half cream, 2 tablespoons butter and 2 tablespoons corn syrup until blended, stopping once or twice to stir. Pipe as desired.
Originally published as Gingerbread Boy Cookies in Cookies Bookazine 2013
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.