Gingerbread Cookie Bites
I transformed store-bought cookie mix into mini tarts similar to gingerbread brownies. For garnish, try chopped crystalized ginger or a sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg. —Shenae Pulliam, Swansea, South Carolina
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 package (14-1/2 ounces) gingerbread cake/cookie mix
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger, optional
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- Ground cinnamon and nutmeg
- Crystallized ginger, chopped, optional
- In a large bowl, beat cookie mix, butter, sugar, egg, flour, water and, if desired, ginger until blended. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm.
- Preheat oven to 350°. Shape dough into 1-in. balls; place in ungreased mini-muffin cups. Press evenly onto bottoms and up the sides of cups. Bake 10-12 minutes or until edges are lightly golden. Cool in pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For filling, in a large bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until blended. Gradually beat in confectioners’ sugar until smooth. Pipe into cookie cups; sprinkle with cinnamon, nutmeg and, if desired, crystallized ginger. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
Originally published as Gingerbread Bites in Taste of Home Christmas Annual 2015