Halloween Party Cutout Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup shortening
- 4 to 6 tablespoons water
- Yellow, orange, green and black paste food coloring, optional
- In a large bowl, beat butter and sugar until light and blended. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture. Shape dough into two portions. Shape each into a disk; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 2-1/2 in. Halloween-shaped cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake 8-10 minutes or until edges are light brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, beat confectioners’ sugar, shortening and enough water to reach spreading consistency. Tint frosting and decorate as desired. Let stand until set.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 1, 2019
This is a very good recipe. I did not even refrigerate the dough and it still kept it's shape. I also used a chocolate icing for decorating. Will use again!
Oct 29, 2019
My husband and I followed the recipe exactly how it is written. Put our cookie dough in the fridge for an hour and when we put the cutout cookies in the oven they melted.
Oct 22, 2017
Nov 1, 2016
Easy, delicious! My go to cookie recipe!
Oct 11, 2015
love this recipe. i plan to also use it for holiday cookies.