Chocolate Cutout Cookies
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
Makesabout 5 dozen
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons water
- 4-1/2 teaspoons meringue powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Divide dough in half. Shape each into a disk; cover. Refrigerate 30 minutes or until firm enough to roll.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes or until set. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water, meringue powder and cream of tartar; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 1-2 minutes. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Using pastry bags and small round tips, decorate cookies as desired. Let stand at room temperature until frosting is dry and firm.
- Freeze option: Freeze cookies, layered between waxed paper, in freezer containers. To use, thaw before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 91 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 43mg sodium, 14g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 22, 2019
I was very surprised how much I liked this recipe. The cookie has a nice deep chocolate flavor. Your cookies hold their shape beautifully both after cutting and baking. I highly recommend this recipe.
Oct 10, 2019
This is the chocolate rollout cookie recipe I've been looking for! Kid-friendly, nice chocolate flavor, pretty easy to work with. This is a keeper.
Dec 10, 2018
What kind of chocolate do you use? Powered or do you melt chocolate?
Dec 3, 2018
I have made cut out cookies for Christmas since 1972. I went over this recipe, compared it to the one I use every year, and they were similar. One problem I had was with the dough. When I added the dry ingredients into the creamed mixture, there seemed to be dry ingredients left over. I did not want to add an egg, but I knew I need to add something to that amount of dry mixture. I added about 1/3 C of half and half, and then it was all mixed. These taste good; they smell like brownies baking. I did not use the icing.
Nov 2, 2018
This is the first chocolate cut out cookie dough I've made. I made "scardy cat" cookies for halloween. At the end of baking, I quickly pressed candies into the cat face to create eyes and nose. Very easy to work with, fun, and delicious!
Oct 24, 2017
I just made these using my Halloween cookie cutters. That way I have “black” cats and bats without having to make black frosting. The dough was very easy to roll out and cut. Being a dark chocolate lover, I was hoping for a little more chocolate flavor, but they still tasted great.
Dec 15, 2015
Dough mixed up beautifully. Tasted amazing!!! Definitely going to be a Christmas cookie tradition