Cutout Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 10 min./batch
Makesabout 2-1/2 dozen (3-inch cookies)
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup shortening
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 4 to 5 tablespoons milk
- Food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add egg and extracts. Combine the flour, baking soda and cream of tartar; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut into desired shapes. Place 1 in. apart on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 6-8 minutes or until the edges begin to brown. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, cream the butter and shortening in a bowl. Add vanilla and salt. Gradually add the sugar, 1 cup at a time, beating well after each addition. Add milk; beat until light and fluffy. Tint icing with desired colors of food coloring; decorate the cookies.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Dec 31, 2018
This is the best sugar cookie recipe I’ve ever made. We’ve never been a fan of sugar cookies. We enjoy making them and decorating but never cared to eat them. Not so with this recipe! They disappear in a day or two! I’ve gotten raving reviews from family and friends every time my girls and I have made them, and now I make them with my grandkids. This recipe is now a part of our annual Christmas baking tradition. So glad I found this! Fun to make and delicious to eat!
Dec 18, 2016
Gross. Followed the recipe exactly, and chilled it. It was crumbly, dry, and unworkable. Tossing out this recipe. NASTY.
Dec 21, 2011
These are really good. The powdered sugar makes them really light and soft. The dough is really sticky and soft though, so you have to add a lot of flour when you roll them out.
Nov 11, 2011
I love theses!