Stamped Cutout Cookies
Rich, buttery sugar cookie cutouts like these never last long at a party. They're one of my favorite homemade Christmas cookies. I use seasonal cutters to celebrate the holidays. Plus, with some cookie stamps, you can get some great decoration! —Lynn Burgess, Rolla, Missouri
Total TimePrep: 1 hour + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + cooling
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3-3/4 to 4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 3 tablespoons meringue powder
- 5 to 6 tablespoons warm water
- Assorted paste food coloring
- 2 to 3 teaspoons water
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add eggs and vanilla; mix well. Combine the flour, baking powder and salt; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Chill for 1 hour or until firm.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/4-in thickness. Cut out with 3-1/2 in. cookie cutters of your choice. Using a floured spatula, transfer cookies to greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool completely on wire racks.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high until stiff peaks form, 4-5 minutes. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Using pastry bags and small round tips, ice cookies. Let stand at room temperature until frosting is dry and firm, several hours.
- For each color you use, in separate small bowls, combine 1/2 teaspoon food coloring with 2-3 teaspoon water. Pour onto food safe stamp pad or folded paper towel. Press stamp gently onto pad, ensuring an even coating of coloring adheres to stamp. Press stamp gently onto dried icing. Repeat with remaining cookies. Let stand until dry, several hours. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 307 calories, 9g fat (5g saturated fat), 43mg cholesterol, 184mg sodium, 54g carbohydrate (38g sugars, 1g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.