Graffiti Cutout Cookies
Talk about playing with your food! Edible color spray lets you create ombre and color blends unlike any other decorating technique. To re-create my ombre lines, hold a sheet of paper over desired sections as you spray to layer the color. —Shannon Roum, Cudahy, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min.+ freezing Bake: 15 min. + cooling
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 cups almond flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- ROYAL ICING:
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 5 teaspoons meringue powder
- 2 to 6 tablespoons water
- Food color spray, optional
- In a bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg and vanilla. In another bowl, whisk almond flour, salt and baking soda; gradually beat into creamed mixture.
- Preheat oven to 325°. Between two pieces of waxed paper, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Place on a cutting board in the freezer until firm, about 20 minutes. Remove paper; cut with 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 2 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until lightly browned on the edges, about 12-15 minutes. Cool on pans 2 minutes. Remove to wire racks to cool completely.
- For icing, in a large bowl, combine confectioners' sugar, 2 tablespoons water and meringue powder; beat on low speed just until blended. Beat on high 4-5 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Add additional water as necessary to reach desired consistency. Keep unused icing covered at all times with a damp cloth. If necessary, beat again on high speed to restore texture.
- Frost cookies and let stand at room temperature several hours or until frosting is dry and firm. Decorate as desired with color spray mist. Store in an airtight container.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 209 calories, 11g fat (3g saturated fat), 21mg cholesterol, 103mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (23g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Originally published as Dutch Blue Cutout Cookies in Holiday Cookies & Candies 2018