Apple Cutout Sugar Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch + standing
- 1-1/2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 egg
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons water
- Red and green food coloring
- In a large bowl, combine the first seven ingredients in order given and mix well. Chill dough 2-3 hours or until easy to handle.
- Roll out on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with an apple-shaped cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place on greased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 7-8 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool on wire racks.
- For frosting, combine sugar, corn syrup and water in a small bowl. Transfer three fourths of the frosting into another bowl; add red food coloring for apples. Add green food coloring to remaining frosting for stems. Frost cookies. Allow to sit overnight for frosting to harden.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 191 calories, 8g fat (5g saturated fat), 29mg cholesterol, 137mg sodium, 29g carbohydrate (18g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Apr 13, 2014
This is the best recipe i have used to date. Cream of tartar helps them hold their shape really well.
Dec 28, 2013
I am a long-term TOH subscriber/reader and have been baking these cookies since they were published in the August/September 1994 issue. No sugar cookie recipe compares to this one! Everyone who tastes them asks me for the recipe and I refer them to TOH.
Feb 18, 2011
this is the only sugar cookie recipe I use anymore. Everyone loves them
Apr 20, 2010
Have made these for years. They are easy and amazing. Takes time but is well worth it.