Freaky Frankenstein Cookies
They're alive! Each year when the Halloween invites start coming my way, I create a little treat to bring. These cute cookies bring a lot of life to every party. —Philia Kelnhofer, West Allis, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 drops food coloring
- 24 Andes mint candies
- Black and white jimmies
- Decorating icing and candy eyeballs, optional
- Mix cookie mix and flour; stir in melted butter, egg, extracts and food coloring until blended. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 1-in.-thick square; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to an 8x6-in. rectangle. Cut each rectangle into twelve 2-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven; place a mint candy at the top of each square. Return to oven; bake until chocolate begins to melt, 1-2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, spread mint candies to cover top end of cookies; sprinkle with jimmies for hair. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate faces as desired, using icing and eyeballs.
Originally published as Freaky Frankenstein Cookies in Halloween Bookazine 2015