Freaky Frankenstein Cookies
They're alive! Each year when the Halloween invites start coming my way, I create a little treat to bring. These cute cookies bring a lot of life to every party. —Philia Kelnhofer, West Allis, Wisconsin
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min. + cooling
- 1 package (17-1/2 ounces) sugar cookie mix
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 12 drops food coloring
- 24 Andes mint candies
- Black and white jimmies
- Decorating icing and candy eyeballs, optional
- Mix cookie mix and flour; stir in melted butter, egg, extracts and food coloring until blended. Divide dough in half. Shape each into a 1-in.-thick square; wrap in plastic. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350°. On a lightly floured surface, roll each portion of dough to an 8x6-in. rectangle. Cut each rectangle into twelve 2-in. squares. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake until edges begin to brown, 7-9 minutes. Remove from oven; place a mint candy at the top of each square. Return to oven; bake until chocolate begins to melt, 1-2 minutes.
- Using a spatula, spread mint candies to cover top end of cookies; sprinkle with jimmies for hair. Remove to wire racks to cool completely. Decorate faces as desired, using icing and eyeballs.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.