Monster Chip Cookies
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 3 dozen
- 1 cup shortening
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1-1/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 4 eggs
- 3 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 cups (24 ounces) semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 cups chopped nuts
- In a large bowl, cream shortening, butter and sugars until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each. Beat in vanilla and lemon juice. Combine the dry ingredients; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Stir in chips and nuts. Refrigerate 8 hours or overnight.
- Drop by 1/4 cupfuls 3 in. apart onto lightly greased baking sheet. Bake at 350° for 14-16 minutes or until lightly browned and center is set. Cool for 2 minutes before removing to wire racks.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 614 calories, 36g fat (13g saturated fat), 61mg cholesterol, 412mg sodium, 70g carbohydrate (48g sugars, 4g fiber), 9g protein.
Nov 23, 2016
Quick tip: make this recipe!!! Promise, you will love.Full review: I know this comment thread is old but I just had to finally write a review. I have been making these cookies for the past 7 years for thanksgiving and everyone always RAVES about them. I follow the recipe exactly and they come out amazing every year. The only change is sometimes I don't have time to refrigerate so they may only get an hour in the fridge some years. So many people ask for this recipe I hope this page never changes from the Taste of Home website. This year I have to double the recipe which is crazy because the original makes so many but I have too many people requesting these and even willing to pay for the ingredients just so I make them!!
Apr 23, 2014
Made these today and they are so good. I chose to make them about tablespoon size and baked them at 350° for about 10-12 minutes or until light golden brown around the edges. Nice and chewy and will make again
Jan 8, 2012
I also put in 36oz of chocolate chips and omit the nuts. Delicious!
Jan 8, 2012
The best cookie recipe! I get asked to make these cookies all the time. The big difference that everyone talks about is the cinnamon is these cookies. My go to chocolate chip cookie recipe!
May 22, 2011
awesome cookie recipe. raves above toll-house recipe.
Dec 20, 2010
Delicious--the cinnamon is like a subtle secret ingredient.
Oct 13, 2010
Everyone who has these cookies loves them!
Nov 15, 2009
really great recipe. I made them smaller so that I had a BIG batch to share. Also used crisp cereal instead of nuts 1st time I made them to share, as some cannot tolerate nuts.
Oct 17, 2009
These turned out even bigger than I thought they would. My kids and husband loved them and told me I should make them again.
Sep 14, 2009
Too cake like for my liking. Not enough oatmeal, either. It is just a matter of taste.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.