Glazed Maple Shortbread Cookies
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min./batch + cooling
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon maple flavoring
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- In a large bowl, beat butter, sugar and cornstarch until blended. Beat in flavoring. Gradually beat in flour.
- Shape dough into a disk; cover. Refrigerate until firm enough to roll, about 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325°. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough to 1/4-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 2-3/4-in. leaf-shaped cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are light brown, 20-25 minutes. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.
- In a small bowl, mix confectioners' sugar and maple syrup until smooth. Spread over cookies. Let stand until set.
Nutrition Facts1 cookie: 188 calories, 10g fat (7g saturated fat), 27mg cholesterol, 82mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (12g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Nov 13, 2019
Delicious! I made three batches in the past two weeks and each turned out perfectly and recipients loved them. My cookies did not spread but kept their maple leaf shape. I iced and then froze one batch for about 10 days and they were as delicious as the fresh ones.
Nov 11, 2019
Flor/butter ratio is off 1 cup butter should have 2 cups flour. Cookies spread and lost shape while baking. then broke and crumbled when putting on cooling racks. I only salvaged about a half dozen of the 18 cookies. the rest are crumbles - I will use to top an apple crumble . there are better recipes for shortbread just google shortbread cookie recipe using 1 cup butter.
Oct 17, 2019
I plan on making these this weekend..I have maple brown Sugar I will be subbing for the white sugar. Wish me luck
Nov 7, 2017
can these cookies be frozen and iced after thawed?
Dec 9, 2016
Delicious and easy to make. I wonder if I added red food colouring, the icing would be red for Canada Day or would the maple syrup taint the colour?
Dec 1, 2016
Delicious and addicting! Wow! Fortunately, they're not TOO high in sugar. I suspected that the glaze would be runny, so I cut back a little on the syrup; next time I'll cut back even more. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the glaze did set up, even though it started out runny. Also, I used rubber bands to measure the 1/4" thickness, and I got 32 cookies with my maple leaf cutter (I did re-roll scraps). Even so, I had about twice as much glaze as I needed. I think I'll have to make some more cookies to solve that problem... Enjoy!One day later... I'm a bit disappointed that the glaze has really crystallized. Make and serve these the same day for prettiest results.
Nov 28, 2015
These cookies are fabulous... even people who are not usually looking for maple syrup recipe will love them. Love the shortbread texture. Thanks for sharing this recipe.
Sep 29, 2015
Simply delicious for the maple lover in mind ??