Easter Sugar Cookies
Cream cheese contributes to the rich taste of these melt-in-your-mouth cookies shared by Julie Brunette of Green Bay, Wisconsin. "They have such nice flavor, you can skip the frosting and sprinkle them with colored sugar for a change," she suggests.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + chilling Bake: 10 min./batch
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- Tinted frosting or colored sugar
- In a bowl, cream butter, cream cheese and sugar. Beat in egg yolk and extracts. Combine the flour, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture. Cover and refrigerate for 3 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-1/2-in. cookie cutter dipped in flour. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets. Bake at 375° for 8-10 minutes or until edges begin to brown. Cool for 2 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Decorate as desired.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 157 calories, 9g fat (6g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 150mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 0 fiber), 2g protein.
Originally published as Easter Sugar Cookies in Taste of Home February/March 2002
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.