Nutty Sticky Bun Candies
Save room on your holiday treat trays for these sweet and salty spirals. Oh, and hide some for yourself, too. They'll be in high demand! —Josh Carter, Birmingham, Alabama
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min. + cooling
Makesabout 6 dozen (2-1/4 pounds)
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup softened butter, divided
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups deluxe mixed nuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- Butter an 8-in. square pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- Combine confectioners' sugar and milk powder. In a large heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup and remaining butter; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in confectioners' sugar mixture, about a third at a time, until blended.
- Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Continue stirring until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon and a thermometer reads 150°. Spread into prepared pan. Cool for 15 minutes.
- For filling, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon. Place 3/4 cup nuts in a food processor; cover and pulse until ground.
- Cut cooled candy into quarters. Roll each into a 9x5-in. rectangle. Sprinkle each rectangle with a fourth of the sugar mixture and a fourth of the ground nuts to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- Chop remaining nuts. Brush each roll with corn syrup; roll in nuts. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2-in. slices. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
Test Kitchen tip
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 71 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Originally published as Sticky Bun Candies in Taste of Home December 2017
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.