Nutty Sticky Bun Candies
Save room on your holiday treat trays for these sweet and salty spirals. Oh, and hide some for yourself, too. They'll be in high demand! —Josh Carter, Birmingham, Alabama
- 2 teaspoons plus 1/2 cup softened butter, divided
- 3-3/4 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2-1/4 cups deluxe mixed nuts, divided
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- 1. Butter an 8-in. square pan with 2 teaspoons butter; set aside.
- 2. Combine confectioners' sugar and milk powder. In a large heavy saucepan, combine 1/2 cup granulated sugar, 1/2 cup corn syrup and remaining butter; cook and stir until sugar is dissolved and mixture comes to a boil. Stir in confectioners' sugar mixture, about a third at a time, until blended.
- 3. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Continue stirring until mixture mounds slightly when dropped from a spoon and a thermometer reads 150°. Spread into prepared pan. Cool for 15 minutes.
- 4. For filling, combine 1/4 cup granulated sugar and cinnamon. Place 3/4 cup nuts in a food processor; cover and pulse until ground.
- 5. Cut cooled candy into quarters. Roll each into a 9x5-in. rectangle. Sprinkle each rectangle with a fourth of the sugar mixture and a fourth of the ground nuts to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up tightly jelly-roll style, starting with a long side.
- 6. Chop remaining nuts. Brush each roll with corn syrup; roll in nuts. Using a serrated knife, cut into 1/2-in. slices. Store at room temperature in an airtight container.
1 piece: 71 calories, 3g fat (1g saturated fat), 4mg cholesterol, 28mg sodium, 11g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 0 fiber), 1g protein.
Oct 19, 2019RE 1 star...Duhh, Candy is sugar! This is a great recipe for the "fondant" part...I used pretzels instead of nuts and they were perfect. Be sure to roll the "fondant" thin before filling, rolling into a log and cutting.
Jan 19, 2018
If you like eating sugar, and I mean cupfuls of nothing but sugar, this one's for you!
© 2020 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC