When I got married, I asked my Aunt Jean for this recipe. It was her creation and she always hamburgers in this way for family picnics in the summer and the occasional church dish dinner. I like them because they have a great taste and are very moist.
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 40 min.
- 1/2 cup crushed saltines (about 15 crackers)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds ground beef
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 12 hamburger buns, split
- In a large bowl, combine the saltines, milk, salt and pepper. Crumble beef over mixture and mix well. Shape into 12 patties. In a large skillet over medium heat, brown patties in batches on both sides. Place in a large roasting pan.
- Combine the ketchup, onion, Worcestershire sauce, sugar and vinegar; pour over patties. Cover and bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until a thermometer reads 160°. Serve on buns.