Barbecued Beef on Buns
Total TimePrep: 25 min. + chilling Cook: 3-1/2 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (3 pounds)
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1-1/2 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup vinegar
- 2 tablespoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- Few drops hot pepper sauce
- Hamburger buns
- Place beef, onion and celery in a Dutch oven; add water to almost cover meat. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Remove meat; strain and reserve cooking liquid. Trim and shred meat; return to Dutch oven. Add 2 cups of strained cooking liquid (save remaining cooking liquid) and chill. Skim and discard fat. Add ketchup, brown sugar, vinegar and seasonings. Cover and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. If mixture becomes too thick, add additional reserved cooking liquid. Serve on hamburger buns.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 153 calories, 7g fat (3g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 534mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 1g fiber), 14g protein.
Apr 18, 2016
This was great as is. I'll definitely make it again.
Aug 26, 2012
I simmered it for 3 hours and it wasn't tender and didn't fall apart easily. I recommend cooking a bit longer. Sauce was great, would make again.
Aug 11, 2010
This is the best barbecue. Everyone in my familey just love it. My husbunds friends always say boy that smells good. (their way of hinting) so ofcourse I fix them a sandwich.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.