Makeover Philly Steak and Cheese Stromboli
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min. + standing
- 2 large green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 large onion, halved and sliced
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 loaf (1 pound) frozen whole wheat bread dough, thawed
- 12 ounces reduced-fat process cheese (Velveeta), sliced
- 1/2 pound shaved deli roast beef, chopped
- 1 large egg white
- 1 teaspoon water
- 1/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- In a large nonstick skillet, saute the peppers, mushrooms and onion in oil until tender. Stir in garlic powder and pepper; set aside.
- On a baking sheet coated with cooking spray, roll dough into a 15x10-in. rectangle. Layer half of the sliced cheese, all of roast beef and vegetable mixture lengthwise over half of dough to within 1/2 in. of edges. Top with remaining sliced cheese. Fold dough over filling; pinch seams to seal and tuck ends under.
- Combine egg white and water; brush over dough. Cut slits in top. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake 5 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand for 10 minutes before cutting.
Nutrition Facts1 slice: 331 calories, 12g fat (3g saturated fat), 33mg cholesterol, 1055mg sodium, 38g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 5g fiber), 23g protein.
Feb 14, 2015
This was awesome. I am not a" cook " and I need a recipe to follow and this was perfect
Apr 6, 2014
Decent, though the roast beef was difficult to detect amongst all those peppers and onions! I usually don't complain about excess veggies, but the ratio seemed really off here. We subbed provolone for the Velveeta (not a fan of fake cheese - unless it's with mac!), and that melted beautifully and paired well with the other ingredients.
Mar 29, 2014
Jan 15, 2012
I used canned mushrooms and fresh garlic, left over beef. I used homemade dough. EXCELLENT!!!!
Jan 3, 2012
We made this for New Year's Eve. It was fabulous! Next time, I will use less Velveeta and more Mozzarella... Loved it!!
Dec 21, 2011
Very good recipe. I had a hard time closing the stromboni though, as lots of filling, but it turned out very nicely. Tasted and smelled delicious. Next time I would reduce the velveeta a bit and put more of the non-processed cheese/mozza/cheddar. Will definitely make again.
Dec 16, 2011
I used my bread machine rather than frozen dough. I also used parchment paper and found it easy to roll and eventually flip the stromboli. Mine was a LOT fatter and rounder than the picture. I only had 6oz of Velveeta so I used skim milk mozzarella and a bit of marble cheese grated. I don't like green pepper so I used just a bit of sweet yellow pepper. I also used a sweet onion. It was enjoyed by all at our social and I think I'll make it again during the Christmas season for relatives.
Dec 11, 2011
I had trouble rolling out the thawed dough and I almost panicked but, eventually as the dough warmed I was able to roll it into the required length. I rolled it on my oversized wood cutting board and transferred the dough to the baking pan. The recipe was easy and the stromboli was a success with my husband. This recipe will definitely be one to make again and again. Thanks for the great recipe!
Nov 29, 2011
Husband said it's one of the best meals I've made him and really quite simple! Delicious - my only comment is maybe not as much cheese inside.
Nov 28, 2011
Delicious! I will definitly make this again!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.