Philly-Style Mac and Cheese
My son loves macaroni and cheese, and I’m always looking for ways to sneak in some veggies. This version is a huge hit! —Jennifer Berry, Lexington, Ohio
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 2% milk
- 1 cup beef broth
- 2 cups shredded provolone cheese
- 2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Montreal steak seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 package (10-1/2 ounces) frozen Steak-umm sliced steaks, browned
- 1/2 cup French-fried onions
- Cook macaroni according to package directions.
- Meanwhile, in a large skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and green pepper in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended; gradually add milk and broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat. Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder, steak seasoning and onion powder.
- Drain macaroni; add to sauce mixture. Stir in steak. Transfer to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking dish; sprinkle fried onions over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until bubbly.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with McCormick’s Montreal Steak Seasoning. Look for it in the spice aisle.
Nutrition Facts1-1/3 cups: 635 calories, 41g fat (22g saturated fat), 106mg cholesterol, 921mg sodium, 33g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 34g protein.
Jan 16, 2019
Can you sub hamburger for that frozen steak? We do not like to use pre-prepared foods..
Jul 10, 2012
My husband hates mac n' cheese, but he LOVED this! I was pleasantly surprised!