Philly Cheese Sandwiches
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 8 hours
- 1 boneless beef chuck roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds), trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 medium onions, halved and sliced
- 1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, sliced
- 1 medium green pepper, sliced
- 8 slices process American cheese or pepper jack cheese
- 8 hoagie buns, split and toasted
- In a 3- or 4-qt. slow cooker, combine first six ingredients. Cook, covered, on low 7 hours. Stir in peppers; cook, covered, until meat and peppers are tender, 1-3 hours.
- Stir to break up meat. Serve beef mixture and cheese on buns.
Test Kitchen tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 546 calories, 23g fat (9g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 754mg sodium, 42g carbohydrate (9g sugars, 2g fiber), 40g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 23, 2018
Loved how simple this was to put together! I did have to add some more seasoning though to bump up the flavor to our liking, but it is a good base recipe. I used provolone cheese and it went perfectly with the meat - the sandwiches were delicious!
Nov 30, 2017
Tried this last night for dinner. OMG , this is a keeper for sure. Simple to prepare with very few ingredients and so tasty. I added in 1/2 cup or so beef broth and seasoned salt. Hubby and I love this sandwich.