Homey Mac & Cheese
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 2-1/2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups 2% milk
- 5 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese, divided
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cook macaroni according to package directions for al dente.
- Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, heat butter over medium heat. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until smooth; gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 2-3 minutes.
- Reduce heat. Stir in 3 cups cheese and Worcestershire sauce until cheese is melted.
- Drain macaroni; stir into sauce. Transfer to a greased 10-in. ovenproof skillet. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes. Top with remaining cheese; sprinkle with paprika. Bake until bubbly and cheese is melted, 5-10 minutes.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 447 calories, 28g fat (20g saturated fat), 97mg cholesterol, 701mg sodium, 28g carbohydrate (6g sugars, 1g fiber), 22g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 8, 2018
The reviews stated this was bland. I would Omit the Worcestershire and Add chopped onions, parsley and cooked Italian Sausage. There are many combinations of spices, vegetables and meat that would be welcome. This is a good basic recipe although I much prefer my 10 minute stove top, one pot mac and cheese.
Jan 14, 2018
.....please thank Zachary for his service-
Oct 26, 2016
Easy and delicious..I just cut back the Worcestershire sauce...
Jan 6, 2016
Jan 2, 2016
This recipe is simple and delicious, my crew wasn't crazy about the Worcestershire sauce, so the next time I made it I only used 1 Tbs. and added a few dashes of hot sauce and some ground mustard. I also made this in my cast iron, baked to golden perfection.
Nov 26, 2015
Really good, the only thing I may change for the next time is either adding chili powder or a mix of cheeses for a little added flavor.
Mar 15, 2015
Really like this one. I used my cast iron skillet and it was bubbly, cheesy deliciousness! I sprinkled Parmesan over the Cheddar on top, and skipped the paprika.
Nov 12, 2014
Will try tonight, but just fyi 5 cups equals 40 oz. not 20 oz. as called for in the recipe
Nov 11, 2014
This was delicious, the whole family loved it! The only modification, I substituted soy sauce for the Worcestershire as I didn't have any on hand.
Oct 20, 2014
This dish had no flavor whatsoever which surprised me being the Worcestershire sauce was added to the making of this dish. I followed the recipe to every exact specification, however, both my spouse and myself thought it was extremely bland. Still looking for that ultimate Mac N Cheese recipe.