Makeover Deluxe Grilled Cheese
You might not have known healthy grilled cheese was possible. But with a few simple tricks, we actually boosted the fantastic toasty taste of these mouthwatering sandwiches, but slashed fat, calories and cholesterol to less than half! —Taste of Home Test Kitchen
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 1 small onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 4 slices French bread (1/2 inch thick)
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 ounce herbed fresh goat cheese
- 1/2 small tart apple, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- In a small skillet coated with cooking spray, saute onion until tender; set aside.
- Place bread slices on a baking sheet; spritz with butter-flavored cooking spray. Broil 4 in. from the heat until golden brown, 2-3 minutes.
- Spread goat cheese over 2 untoasted sides of bread slices. Top with apple slices and reserved onion; sprinkle with cheddar cheese. Broil until cheese is melted, 2-3 minutes longer. Top with remaining slices.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 225 calories, 12g fat (6g saturated fat), 30mg cholesterol, 400mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 2g fiber), 12g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 medium-fat meat, 1 starch.
Originally published as Deluxe Grilled Cheese in Healthy Cooking February/March 2010
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.