Cinnamon-Apple Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 cup sliced peeled tart apple
- 3 teaspoons butter, softened, divided
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 4 slices raisin bread
- 2 slices Muenster cheese (3/4 ounce each)
- In a large skillet, saute apple slices in 1 teaspoon butter until tender. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, cook and stir the walnuts and honey over medium heat for 2-3 minutes or until lightly toasted.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and cinnamon until smooth. Stir in walnut mixture. Spread over two slices of bread; layer with Muenster cheese, apple slices and remaining bread. Spread remaining butter over the outsides of each sandwich.
- In a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray, toast sandwiches for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown and cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 518 calories, 27g fat (10g saturated fat), 45mg cholesterol, 402mg sodium, 58g carbohydrate (29g sugars, 6g fiber), 19g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 8, 2017
After a few tweaks, this is a family favorite. We use a cinnamon apple bread, instead. We also use brie instead of Muenster cheese. This is a sandwich we only indulge in once in a blue moon.
Oct 16, 2015
I made this for my sister and it was devoured in seconds. Yum!!!!
Aug 10, 2012
Over 500 calories, for one sandwich, that is way to many calories for one breakfast/ snack sandwich. Ouch, for my bloodsugar! and my waist line. I would try it once but not sure if the second time. Sorry!!
Aug 10, 2012
This 'one' you start with the base recipe and then toy with it. We'll all end up with 'Our Toy,' but they'll all be darned good. House full of kids who want a snack? This is one of your 'go to's.'fae
Jan 13, 2012
I used homemade cinnamon raisin nut bread. Instead of muenster cheese I used provalone. My husband loved it and said I should put it in with the sandwiches I make regularly.
Sep 11, 2011
I made this recipe for an informal gathering of good friends. Everyone LOVED it. Several asked for the recipe so I promised to e-mail the recipe in the AM. However, before I even had the opportunity to send the recipe two of my guests had already found the recipe online and sent me the link to ask if it was the correct recipe; they couldn't wait for me because they wanted to make it for their families for lunch!I didn't really know what to serve with this sandwich, so I went with watermelon with fresh mint, and it turned out to perfectly compliment the sweetness of the sandwich.
Apr 4, 2011
This recipe was good, but way too sweet for an entree; consider serving it for a unique dessert instead. It's so unusual to see cream cheese measured in tablespoons; it would be much easier to have this recipe translated to ounces of cream cheese as is customary. I used up some finely chopped walnuts that I had, but I think larger chunks would have been more pleasing texture-wise. I did use wholegrain raisin bread and loved the added nuttiness it gave the sandwich. Next time, I'll try it with more apple in thicker slices, larger chunks of nuts, and MUCH less sugar. In fact, the honey is sweetener enough without adding any of the confectioners sugar!
Jul 20, 2009
My husband said this sandwich was "amazing". My children and I agree.