Apple-Cinnamon Baked French Toast
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + chilling Bake: 1 hour
- 10 slices day-old French bread (3/4 inch thick)
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 2-3/4 cups whole milk
- 2/3 cup sugar, divided
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium apples, peeled and thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon butter or margarine
- Place bread in a 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Combine eggs, milk, 1/3 cup sugar and vanilla; pour half over bread. Top with half of the apples. Combine cinnamon, nutmeg and remaining sugar; sprinkle half over apples. Top with the remaining apples. Pour remaining egg mixture over apples and sprinkle with remaining sugar mixture. Dot with butter. Cover and chill 8 hours or overnight. remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 piece: 375 calories, 12g fat (5g saturated fat), 233mg cholesterol, 315mg sodium, 55g carbohydrate (36g sugars, 3g fiber), 13g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jan 20, 2016
My husband and I really enjoyed this French toast bake! I cut the recipe in half and baked it in an 8x8-inch pan, which worked just fine. I also used leftover cubed hot dog buns instead of the French bread. We thought it was delicious and I will definitely be making this again!
May 1, 2012
Very good sweet breakfast treat. Made for a bridal morning getting ready and going to make again for work.