The Ultimate Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 15 min.
- 3 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/8 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 10 slices Italian bread (1/2 inch thick)
- 2 tablespoons butter, softened
- In a large bowl, beat cream cheese and mayonnaise until smooth. Stir in the cheeses, garlic powder and seasoned salt. Spread five slices of bread with the cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup on each. Top with remaining bread.
- Butter the outsides of sandwiches. In a skillet over medium heat, toast sandwiches for 4-5 minutes on each side or until bread is lightly browned and cheese is melted.
Test Kitchen Tips
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich: 646 calories, 50g fat (18g saturated fat), 84mg cholesterol, 885mg sodium, 32g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 16g protein.
Feb 4, 2019
This ended up way too messy, and I didn't care for the taste or texture. I will stick to putting only cheese on a grilled cheese sandwich and no longer mixing with the mayo and cream cheese.
Jul 28, 2018
We didn't care for the cream cheese and mayonnaise in our sandwich. Also thought it could use a couple of more kinds of cheese to make it a really cheesy grilled cheese sandwich.
Jun 3, 2018
Not much more than “cheese” sandwich, I’ll submit what shoulD be referred to as “ultimate” grilled cheese
May 24, 2018
Messy, better if you spread a thin layer. Garlic is a little strong.
May 10, 2018
Very good, very tasty. This goes great with a bowl of creamy tomato soup.
Mar 15, 2018
Love cheese recipies-sandwitch looks great-will try to get it in a large restaurent.thanks for the recipe
Feb 10, 2018
Some may think this is gross but I had a 1/2 tin of chunk tuna left over from a salad so I tossed it into the cheese spread... Wow! Rar em out!!
Jan 23, 2018
My Ultimate Cheese sandwich will always include sliced tomato, sliced avocado, and perhaps a ring or two of sweet onion.
Jan 22, 2018
I cut the mayo back to 1/2 cup and it was plenty. The cheddar I used was sharp and the mozzarella was full fat. I don't use any kind of low fat or fat free dairy, just not enough flavor for us. I made 2 sandwiches, saved the rest of the cheese mixture and made 2 more the next day with two slices of deli sliced ham added. Instead of Italian bread I used sour dough because that's our favorite. I never measure butter when making any type of grilled sandwich, I just add what looks like enough. I agree with sunlite, you can't pass off a pic of toasted bread in place of grilled.
Jan 8, 2018
if you are going to talk GRILLED cheese dont show toasted!