Mini Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) sharp American cheese spread, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1-1/2 pounds each) thinly sliced sandwich bread, crusts removed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cheese spread and egg until smooth. Stir in chilies, salsa and cheddar cheese. Spread about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture on each slice of one loaf of bread.
- Top with remaining bread; spread with more cheese mixture. Cut each sandwich into four squares or triangles; place on a greased baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake until cheese is melted, 10 to 15 minutes.
- To freeze, place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze 1 hour. Transfer to an airtight container in the freezer.
- To bake frozen, preheat oven to 350°. Place on a greased baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake until bubbly and browned, 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 pieces: 102 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Dec 1, 2013
I am giving this 5 stars for several reasons: it is an easy recipe that makes a lot of pick-up appetizers; everyone who tasted it liked it; many asked for the recipe; it is freezable and even includes directions for reheating from frozen.
Jul 12, 2013
This recipe is great for kids as it tastes like grilled cheese, but it's time consuming. It's also not very attractive unless you cut it into perfect shapes after baking. Usually 4 stars on this site is reliable.
Feb 19, 2009
1-1/4 cup of cheesewhiz = 10 oz.
Jan 23, 2008
I think sharp cheese would be good