Mini Grilled Cheese
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 jars (5 ounces each) sharp American cheese spread, softened
- 1 large egg
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chiles, drained
- 1/4 cup salsa
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 loaves (1-1/2 pounds each) thinly sliced sandwich bread, crusts removed
- Preheat oven to 350°. Cream butter, cheese spread and egg until smooth. Stir in chiles, salsa and cheddar cheese. Spread about 1 tablespoon cheese mixture on each slice of 1 loaf of bread.
- Top with remaining bread; spread with more cheese mixture. Cut each sandwich into 4 squares or triangles; place on a baking sheet lined with parchment. Bake until cheese is melted, 10-15 minutes.<b>Freeze option:<b/> Place in a single layer on a baking sheet. Freeze 1 hour. Transfer to an airtight container and store in the freezer. Bake frozen appetizers as directed until bubbly and browned, about 15-20 minutes.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 102 calories, 7g fat (4g saturated fat), 22mg cholesterol, 213mg sodium, 8g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 0 fiber), 3g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Jan 5, 2019
These are on the menu for the Football game tomorrow - have all the ingredients - will use a bit less of the can chilis as kids don't like really spicy items. I did get that Pepperidge farm super thin sliced bread and it is easy to cut the crust off them and i am so looking forward to enjoying these with a win tomorrow.
Dec 1, 2013
I am giving this 5 stars for several reasons: it is an easy recipe that makes a lot of pick-up appetizers; everyone who tasted it liked it; many asked for the recipe; it is freezable and even includes directions for reheating from frozen.
Jul 12, 2013
This recipe is great for kids as it tastes like grilled cheese, but it's time consuming. It's also not very attractive unless you cut it into perfect shapes after baking. Usually 4 stars on this site is reliable.
Feb 19, 2009
1-1/4 cup of cheesewhiz = 10 oz.
Jan 23, 2008
I think sharp cheese would be good