Mini Cheddar Bread Bowls
These golden, cheesy bread "bowls" are a fun and delicious way to serve homemade soup. Try toasting the bread before ladling soup into it. —Angela Carlisle, De Mossville, Kentucky
Total TimePrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min. + cooling
Makes10 mini bread bowls
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (110° to 115°), divided
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in 1/2 cup warm water. Add the sugar, salt, 3 cups flour and remaining water. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes while slowly adding cheese and oregano. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Divide into 10 pieces; shape each into a ball. Place balls 3 in. apart on two greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. Bake at 350° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pans to wire racks to cool.
- Cut a thin slice off the top of bread. Hollow out bottom of loaf, leaving a 1/4-in. shell (discard removed bread or save for another use). Return to oven for 5 minutes to toast bread bowl before filling.
Nutrition Facts1 mini bread bowl: 253 calories, 4g fat (2g saturated fat), 12mg cholesterol, 306mg sodium, 45g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 9g protein.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.