Mini Corn Muffins with Spicy Cheddar Filling
These savory little muffins were a hit at the neighborhood card party. They're pleasingly different from the usual chip-and-dip appetizers. —Margaret Blair, Lorimor, Iowa
Total TimePrep: 30 min. Bake: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 can (14-3/4 ounces) cream-style corn
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup diced pimientos
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- Preheat oven to 400°. In a large bowl, whisk the first five ingredients. In another bowl, whisk egg, milk and oil until blended. Add to flour mixture; stir just until moistened. Fold in corn.
- Fill greased mini-muffin cups three-fourths full. Bake 15-18 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Reduce oven setting to 350°.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, combine filling ingredients. Using a small melon baller, scoop out the center of each muffin; spoon in a rounded teaspoonful of filling into the center. Bake 10-12 minutes or until cheese is melted.
Originally published as Corn Muffin Appetizers in Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook 2015
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.