Mini Chicken Chimis with Jalapeno Cream Cheese
These zippy chicken chimi bites bring a little heat to any fiesta. Serve them on their own as appetizers, or with rice and black beans for a satisfying meal. —Erika Monroe-Williams, Scottsdale, Arizona
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 10 min.
- 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 3/4 cup refried beans
- 1/2 cup green enchilada sauce
- 12 egg roll wrappers
- 4 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- In a large bowl, mix chicken, cheese, beans and enchilada sauce. With a corner of an egg roll wrapper facing you, spoon 1/4 cup filling just below center of wrapper. (Cover remaining wrappers with a damp paper towel until ready to use.) Fold bottom corner over filling; moisten remaining wrapper edges with water. Fold side corners toward center over filling. Roll chimichangas up tightly, pressing at tip to seal. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry chimichangas, a few at a time, until golden brown, 2-3 minutes, turning occasionally. Drain on paper towels.
- In a small bowl, mix cream cheese and jalapeno peppers. Serve chimichangas with jalapeno cream cheese.