Chicken with Creamy Jalapeno Sauce
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
Makes4 servings (2 cups sauce)
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/2 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 3 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 1/4 cup reduced-fat sour cream
- 3 plum tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 2 cups hot cooked rice
- Sprinkle chicken with salt. In a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat, brown chicken in oil on both sides.
- Add the onions, broth, jalapenos and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until a thermometer reads 165°, 5-7 minutes. Remove chicken and keep warm.
- Stir cream cheese and sour cream into onion mixture until blended. Stir in tomatoes; heat through. Serve with chicken and rice.
Editor's NoteWear disposable gloves when cutting hot peppers; the oils can burn skin. Avoid touching your face.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 376 calories, 13g fat (5g saturated fat), 83mg cholesterol, 389mg sodium, 34g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 3g fiber), 30g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable, 2 fat, 1-1/2 starch.
Every product is independently selected by our editors. If you buy something through our links, we may earn an affiliate commission.
May 28, 2020
I thought this was a really good chicken dish. I did have to add extra broth during the cooking process. The only change that I made was using canned tomatoes with peppers and spice. Doing this added extra flavor which I felt it needed in the sauce.
Mar 6, 2020
We didn’t really like this. It was okay, but I wouldn’t make it again.
Jun 5, 2019
Nothing very special about this recipe. Needs some punching up. I would first start with some Adobo and Accent seasoning.
Dec 27, 2017
Easy prep and beautiful presentation. I thought the sauce was a bit on the bland side. Next time may add more jalapenos, cayenne, or some other flavorful spice. Regardless, it is good and I'll be making again.
Dec 21, 2014
Very good recipe! I make it all the time with any kind of meat!
Sep 8, 2014
This was absolutely delicious! I was out of cumin and used Cajun seasoning. I also slightly pounded out the chicken so it cooked evenly. I will definitely be making this again.
Apr 8, 2014
Pretty good. Sauce turned out a bit runny.. While we liked it ok, I am not sure I feel positively enough about it to make it again.
Jan 11, 2014
This recipe has great flavor. We would add another jalapeno or different type of pepper to jack the heat up next time. I ran out of sour cream, so I just added a touch of milk to smooth out the sauce and it was delicious!
Aug 2, 2012
Fantastic creamy, colorful sauce, super easy and fast to make.
Sep 24, 2011
My family can't take a lot of heat (spicy heat) so I used fired roasted poblano pepper in stead of jalapeños. The pepper added good chili taste as well as a little smoky flavor to the dish and it was fantastic.