Chicken with Creamy Apple-Mushroom Sauce
"When I found this recipe, I knew I could lighten it up," says Katherine Major of Kingston, Ontario. "Everyone loves the smooth sauce, tender chicken and mild apple flavor.
Total TimePrep: 15 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (4 ounces each)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups thinly sliced peeled tart apples (about 2 medium)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 reduced-fat evaporated milk, divided
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- In a nonstick skillet, brown chicken in oil on both sides. Remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, saute the mushrooms, onion and garlic until tender. Stir in the broth, tarragon, pepper and salt; bring to a boil.
- Add apples and reserved chicken. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken to a serving platter.
- Combine cornstarch and 1/4 cup milk until smooth; stir in remaining milk. Add to skillet. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken; sprinkle with parsley.
Nutrition Facts1 each: 283 calories, 5g fat (1g saturated fat), 68mg cholesterol, 440mg sodium, 26g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 3g fiber), 33g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable, 1 fruit, 1/2 fat-free milk.
Mar 6, 2015
Tasty, quick weeknight dinner! I didn't have tarragon so I used thyme. Served over jasmine rice with steamed fresh vegetables.
Sep 21, 2011
LOVED LOVED LOVED this! I served it over couscous with steamed green beans....definitely a "menu regular"!