Chicken Cordon Bleu with Mushroom Sauce
After one taste, it will be easy to see why this chicken is my son's favorite.—Robert McCart, Blue Ridge, Georgia
Total TimePrep: 25 min. Cook: 35 min.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 6 slices deli ham
- 6 slices Swiss cheese
- 3 eggs
- 1-1/4 teaspoons paprika
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups panko (Japanese) bread crumbs
- 1/3 cup butter, cubed
- 6 thick-sliced bacon strips, chopped
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- Flatten chicken to 1/4-in. thickness; top each with ham and cheese. Roll up from a short side and secure with toothpicks.
- In a shallow bowl, whisk eggs and paprika. Place flour and bread crumbs in separate shallow bowls. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in egg mixture and coat with crumbs.
- In a large skillet, brown chicken in butter on all sides; remove and keep warm. In the same skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to paper towels with a slotted spoon; drain, reserving 1 tablespoon drippings.
- Saute mushrooms in drippings until tender. Add wine and bouillon, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Return chicken and bacon to the pan. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until a thermometer reads 170°. Remove chicken to a serving platter; discard toothpicks.
- Combine cornstarch and cream until smooth; gradually stir into the pan. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Serve with chicken.
Nutrition Facts1 chicken roll-up with 1/4 cup sauce: 710 calories, 46g fat (25g saturated fat), 292mg cholesterol, 861mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 54g protein.
Originally published as Chicken Cordon Bleu II in Taste of Home Cookbook Contest 2010/2011
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.