Chicken in Tomato-Caper Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides; remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, capers, basil and cayenne. Return chicken to pan. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle with cheeses. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 392 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 45g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Sep 12, 2016
Fine restaurant quality! Great recipe!
Apr 14, 2016
Amazing flavors in this dish! My husband says it belongs in a restaurant
Aug 12, 2015
Everyone loved this dish. Just the sauce would be great on pasta or rice!
Jul 25, 2015
This is excellent! I served it with buttered noodles and pan roasted squash. I want to try this sauce with fish.
Sep 20, 2014
Excellent, will definitely make again!!
Sep 14, 2013
My kids actually loved this and is one they request often. I wasnt sure how they would like the capers but this just adds to the flavor. a family favorite.
Jun 17, 2013
I forgot to add the cheese and even without the cheese we decided that this recipe is a keeper!
May 29, 2013
Quick, easy, and delicious! A great weeknight option.
Mar 29, 2013
I made this last night and it was wonderful. I am not used so much cayenne pepper but it was great. There was left over sauce and I used it in scrambled eggs for breakfast, the eggs were fabulous!!
Mar 27, 2013
Winner! My husband loved it and it was a quick weeknight meal with lots of flavor, I saved time by using chicken tenders.