Chicken in Tomato-Caper Sauce
Total TimePrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves (6 ounces each)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 package (6 ounces) fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh basil or 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Pound chicken breasts with a meat mallet to 1/4-in. thickness; sprinkle with pepper. In a large nonstick skillet, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown chicken on both sides; remove from pan.
- In same skillet, heat remaining oil over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in tomatoes, spinach, capers, basil and cayenne. Return chicken to pan. Cook, covered, 8-10 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Sprinkle with cheeses. Remove from heat; let stand, covered, until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 392 calories, 16g fat (5g saturated fat), 111mg cholesterol, 545mg sodium, 17g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 5g fiber), 45g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 6 lean meat, 1-1/2 fat, 1 starch.
Sep 12, 2016
Fine restaurant quality! Great recipe!
Apr 14, 2016
Amazing flavors in this dish! My husband says it belongs in a restaurant
Aug 12, 2015
Everyone loved this dish. Just the sauce would be great on pasta or rice!
Jul 25, 2015
This is excellent! I served it with buttered noodles and pan roasted squash. I want to try this sauce with fish.
Sep 20, 2014
Excellent, will definitely make again!!
Sep 14, 2013
My kids actually loved this and is one they request often. I wasnt sure how they would like the capers but this just adds to the flavor. a family favorite.
Jun 17, 2013
I forgot to add the cheese and even without the cheese we decided that this recipe is a keeper!
May 29, 2013
Quick, easy, and delicious! A great weeknight option.
Mar 29, 2013
I made this last night and it was wonderful. I am not used so much cayenne pepper but it was great. There was left over sauce and I used it in scrambled eggs for breakfast, the eggs were fabulous!!
Mar 27, 2013
Winner! My husband loved it and it was a quick weeknight meal with lots of flavor, I saved time by using chicken tenders.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.