Ultimate Grilled Pork Chops
Total TimePrep: 20 min. + brining Grill: 10 min.
- 1/4 cup kosher salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups ice water
- 4 center-cut pork rib chops (1 inch thick and 8 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- BASIC RUB:
- 3 tablespoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon each garlic powder, onion powder, ground cumin and ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon coarsely ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground chipotle pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine salt, sugar and 2 cups water; cook and stir over medium heat until salt and sugar are dissolved. Remove from heat. Add 2 cups ice water to cool brine to room temperature.
- Place pork chops in a large resealable plastic bag; add cooled brine. Seal bag, pressing out as much air as possible; turn to coat chops. Place in a 13x9-in. baking dish. Refrigerate 8-12 hours.
- Remove chops from brine; rinse and pat dry. Discard brine. Brush both sides of chops with oil. In a small bowl, mix rub ingredients; rub over pork chops. Let stand at room temperature 30 minutes.
- Grill chops on an oiled rack, covered, over medium heat 4-6 minutes on each side or until a thermometer reads 145°. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
Nutrition Facts1 pork chop: 300 calories, 18g fat (4g saturated fat), 72mg cholesterol, 130mg sodium, 5g carbohydrate (1g sugars, 2g fiber), 30g protein.
Jul 23, 2019
Wonderful juicy pork Chops! I was worried grilling would dry them out but the brining worked magically. My chops were thick juicy and tender.
Jun 22, 2019
My husband and I love thick pork chops but not the chewy dryness. This recipe however knocked the chops out of the field and made a home run. In fact I did not save this recipe and was frantically searching til I remember the name ah yes A Taste Of Home for sure. Best recipe yet and I'm not changing to any other than these babies, wonderfully grilled so we'll, one of those...O M G moments, really!
May 26, 2019
I added slightly less salt because I didn't have coarser Kosher and used finer grained table salt. You should be able to dip your finger in the finished brine (not a spoon slurp like soup) and have it taste pleasant. If it's too salty or not sweet enough, this is the chance to correct it. It's imperative you rinse
Sep 30, 2018
This recipe yields very tender, delicious pork chops. I've made it a couple of times and am always pleased with the results. You really should try these for a very yummy pork chop.
Jun 21, 2018
This recipe has alot of flavor. I do not barbque often and I'm always looking for new recipe's to try. One thing that I did, which was dumb, is after I had let it sit in the brine I added salt in the rub. So, now I know not to do that. I will definitely make it again but with NO salt in the rub.
May 14, 2018
Delicious, tender, juicy chops. Used brown sugar in the rub and everyone loved them.
Apr 18, 2018
These are the most deliciously moist pork chops I've ever eaten! I'll be making these again for sure!
Feb 27, 2018
Brined as directed but only for 15 minutes as I was short on time . The meat was still juicy and tender! And seasoned inside out. The spice rub was really good although I didn’t use chipotle. Everything else though and they were delicious. My husband usually makes the grilled chops now he wants mine! I grilled 4 min on each side. Used a meat thermometer to be sure it reached 145 degrees. Perfect! Making again today adding brown sugar to see how that tastes! Can’t wait! Make this you won’t be disappointed!
Feb 11, 2018
Excellent recipe. I cut 1" chops from a pork loin roast, made two slits in the fat on the side of each one, and followed the recipe exactly, using a cast iron skillet. I made pork chop gravy in the skillet once the chops were resting on a plate, tented with foil: Add 2 tablespoons of butter to the pan drippings, over medium heat, and once melted, add 2 tablespoons of flour, stirring & cooking it for 2 minutes. Pour in 2 cups milk (I used 1%) and the drippings from the plate of chops, & stir with a whisk until lumps dissappear. Keep stirring until thickened to gravy consistency, and serve over pork chops & mashed potatoes or baked sweet potatoes. (I microwaved pierced sweet potatoes on high for 10 minutes, then baked in the 400 degree F oven on a rack over a baking sheet, while I prepared, roasted & rested the chops, about 30-40 minutes, total.)
Sep 25, 2017
Fabulous Pork Chops! Prepared as directed using smoked paprika and brown sugar in the rub. These by far were the most moist pork chops my husband has ever grilled. We will be making these often!