Pat’s King of Steaks Philly Cheesesteak
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 pound sliced fresh mushrooms, optional
- 1 small green pepper, sliced, optional
- 1 small sweet red pepper, sliced, optional
- 6 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 1-1/2 pounds beef ribeye steaks, thinly sliced
- 4 crusty Italian rolls, split
- Process cheese sauce
- Ketchup, optional
- In a large skillet, saute the onion and, if desired, mushrooms and peppers in 3 tablespoons oil until tender. Remove and keep warm. In the same pan, saute beef in remaining oil in batches for 45-60 seconds or until meat reaches desired doneness.
- On each roll bottom, layer the beef, onion mixture, cheese and, if desired, ketchup. Replace tops.
Nutrition Facts1 sandwich (calculated without optional ingredeints or cheese): 714 calories, 49g fat (12g saturated fat), 101mg cholesterol, 299mg sodium, 31g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 36g protein.
May 21, 2018
Stupid to copy Pat's or Gino's, as one poster mentions below, the best cheese steaks (and hoagies) are the the neighborhood deli. They do NOT use cheese whis, and they do or should use Amoroso's rolls. And most cheese steaks do not have peppers or mushrooms (its optional), but do have good thin steak, american cheese, and onions. Subway has to be the worst in world. My favorite is Phil and Jim's in Chester PA. (especially for hoagies).
Mar 14, 2018
This recipe was easy and delicious. I semi froze my meat before cutting it. Only change I made was to add a little salt and pepper. I will make thus again.
Jun 17, 2017
Philadelphians grow up eating steak sandwiches and will argue with anyone at any time about which best "steak joint" is best. It's usually the one at the end of the block in your old neighborhood, and that's probably not Pat's. I like that this recipe uses ribeye. Try to semi-freeze it before slicing so you can get very thin slices across the grain with a sharp knife or meat slicer. Another ongoing argument is whether to shred the beef while cooking or leave it in slices - suggest you do what tastes best to you. Forget the process "cheese" ugh and place some provolone, mozzarella, pepper jack or American cheese slices atop the steak when it's almost done before you scoop it onto the roll. For a true local specialty try a pizza steak: after assembling your sandwich, drizzle a couple of tablespoons of warm pizza sauce or marianara along the steak, top with mozzarella or provolone and run under the broiler for a minute to toast.
Aug 11, 2016
Easy to make. My family loved them. Will make again.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.