Fried Onion Rings
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. Place in a bowl; cover with ice water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the egg, water, oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne; stir into egg mixture until smooth.
- Drain onion rings; dip into batter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes one each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Mar 3, 2018
I liked the kick that the cayenne pepper gives these.
Nov 20, 2012
I find this recipe easy to make and it turns out every time. I actually use this recipe on top of my green bean casserole in place of the fried onions that you buy. It tastes great!
Aug 21, 2010
These were delicious! I will make these again but, I will definately double the batter.
Feb 28, 2010
This is the best recipe that I have gotten for onion rings. I left out the cayenne. Thanks
Dec 31, 2009
It's not my favorite! It seems there is something missing!