Fried Onion Rings
Total TimePrep: 15 min. + soaking Cook: 15 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 to 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Additional oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut onions into 1/2-in. slices; separate into rings. Place in a bowl; cover with ice water and soak for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, combine the egg, water, oil and lemon juice in a bowl. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and cayenne; stir into egg mixture until smooth.
- Drain onion rings; dip into batter. In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes one each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Mar 3, 2018
I liked the kick that the cayenne pepper gives these.
Nov 20, 2012
I find this recipe easy to make and it turns out every time. I actually use this recipe on top of my green bean casserole in place of the fried onions that you buy. It tastes great!
Aug 21, 2010
These were delicious! I will make these again but, I will definately double the batter.
Feb 28, 2010
This is the best recipe that I have gotten for onion rings. I left out the cayenne. Thanks
Dec 31, 2009
It's not my favorite! It seems there is something missing!
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.