Southwestern Onion Rings
Total TimePrep: 10 min. + soaking Cook: 10 min.
- 2 large sweet onions
- 2-1/2 cups buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 to 2 teaspoons cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Cut onions into 1/4-in. slices; separate into rings. Place in a large bowl; cover with buttermilk and soak for 30 minutes, stirring twice.
- In a shallow dish, beat eggs and water. In another shallow bowl, combine the flour, salt, chili powder, cayenne, sugar, garlic powder and cumin. Drain onion rings; dip in egg mixture, then roll in flour mixture.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat 1 in. of oil to 375°. Fry onion rings, a few at a time, for 1 to 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels.
Jan 21, 2018
I made these last night as a surprise for my 13 year old son. He LOVES great onion rings and has tried a ton of them. He tasted this and said they were the best ones he's ever had. My husband agreed, and all of a sudden, 8 servings became 2 1/2 (they let me eat a couple, lol!). These really are amazing, and so easy to make!
Sep 3, 2016
These onion rings are delicious! I love the texture of the breading with the sweet onions. Although these onion rings tasted great, I didn't pick up the southwestern flavors of the spices.
Sep 2, 2016
I usually use a tempura batter for Onion Rings, but I wanted to try something different. I loved the extra kick of these. I added just a tad of dried cilantro to the flour mixture. Definitely a keeper.
Jun 10, 2014
My kids, who normally aren't onion ring fans, loved this. I agree that it did take time to fry them up, but it was worth it. My son declared it a keeper!
Dec 9, 2013
Excellent flavor and crispiness! Took some time though to fry all of them up, but once I started eating them I couldn't stop till they were all gone. This was the first onion ring recipe that my wife and kids all loved!
Jul 27, 2013
Excellent taste. Not an easy recipe to make, but well worth the effort! Loved the "zippy" flavor!
Jun 26, 2012
Delicious recipe! The onion rings were still crispy the next day. They were completely addicting and easy to keep eating. Give them a try. You won't be sorry.
Jun 19, 2011
These are great. Love the little spicy taste.
Oct 19, 2009
My family always ask for these homemade onion rings! Only trouble with this recipe is that no matter how much there is, it's never enough!
Mar 14, 2009
MMMMMMMMM! GREAT onion rings
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.