Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
Total TimePrep: 10 min. Bake: 70 min. + standing
- 2 pounds potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced (about 6 cups)
- 1 large onion, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- 4 cups shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 4 cups fresh small broccoli florets
- 3 cups cubed fully cooked ham
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh chives
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place potatoes, onion and water in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, covered, on high until potatoes are almost tender, 8-10 minutes; drain.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour and seasonings until smooth; cook and stir until lightly browned, 2-3 minutes. Gradually whisk in milk. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Stir in 3 cups cheese until melted. Remove from heat.
- To assemble, layer potato mixture, broccoli and ham in a greased 13x9-in. baking dish. Pour sauce over top; sprinkle with remaining cheese.
- Bake, covered, 45 minutes. Uncover; bake until potatoes are tender, 25-30 minutes. Sprinkle with chives; let stand 10 minutes.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested in a 1,100-watt microwave.
Nutrition Facts1 serving: 343 calories, 19g fat (11g saturated fat), 73mg cholesterol, 922mg sodium, 23g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 21g protein.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Jun 28, 2018
Why does it take so long to bake if the potatoes have been started in the microwave? I would just cut them small and bake the whole casserole in the oven. Baked potatoes taste better.
Dec 10, 2017
I don't eat pork. Do you think this would work without ham? Maybe I could use turkey bacon.