Loaded Baked Potato Soup
Total TimePrep: 35 min. Cook: 6 hours
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups water, divided
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1-1/2 cups mashed potato flakes
- 1/2 pound sliced bacon, cooked and crumbled
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/2 cup Kerrygold shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, sliced
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in flour. Gradually stir in 1 cup water. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Transfer to a 5-qt. slow cooker.
- Add the broth, potatoes, potato flakes, bacon, pepper, salt, basil, thyme and remaining water. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until potatoes are tender. Stir in cream; heat through. Garnish with cheese and green onions.
Nutrition Facts1 cup: 212 calories, 11g fat (6g saturated fat), 35mg cholesterol, 723mg sodium, 20g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 2g fiber), 7g protein.
Jan 26, 2019
Outstanding! I adapted it for the stove top by cooking the potatoes the night before (tired me forgot it was a crock pot recipe). Used 3 potatoes instead of 2, omitted the spices because I didn't have them and it turned out amazing. This one is a keeper!
Jan 20, 2019
This is our favorite and we have tried many. Some are too heavy on dairy for creaminess, some are not quite smooth, but not this one. Made as recommended first time and thoroughly enjoyed, now we add extra potatoes, more green onions for the topping, and some extra bacon as a garnish. Thanks for a winner!
Feb 3, 2018
I actually have. A question. When it says half and half cream. Is that like coffee creamer?
Oct 30, 2014
After reading the reviews I decided to omit the potato flakes-I didn't have any either-and used two extra potatoes. This is a delicious and hearty soup. I added a small dollop of sour cream with the additional green onions and cheddar cheese on top when I served this soup.
Oct 13, 2014
This recipe was great the only thing I think I would do different I would add little more potatoes. It was great !!
Apr 2, 2014
While I thought the soup was good, I did make a few changes to make it taste a little more homemade.I omitted the flakes and used 2 additional potatoes as well as using more cream and spices. Also it's not baked potato soup as the potatoes were never baked?
Feb 20, 2014
My husband said this was the best soup he's every eaten! My changes were to add 2 tsps. of minced garlic to sauté with onions and we all liked the cheese and green onions so we needed more than suggested for the toppings. My teen son also thought this was one of the best soups. I've started cooking soup once a week so they've had quite a few soups in the last couple of months.
Feb 17, 2014
Family hit have been asked to make again good sign
Jan 22, 2014