Quick Mashed Potato Cakes
Total TimePrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1 cup mashed potatoes (with added milk and butter)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 2-1/2 teaspoons finely chopped green onion
- 1/2 teaspoon minced fresh parsley
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Butter-flavored cooking spray
- 1 teaspoon butter
- In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. In a large nonstick skillet coated with butter-flavored cooking spray, melt butter over medium heat.
- Drop potato mixture by 1/4 cupfuls into skillet; press lightly to flatten. Cook over medium heat for 4-5 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Serve warm.
Editor's NoteThis recipe was tested with Land O'Lakes light stick butter.
Nutrition Facts2 each: 155 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 14mg cholesterol, 525mg sodium, 21g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 2g fiber), 4g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 fat.
Follow along as we show you how to make these fantastic recipes from our archive.
Oct 10, 2018
I added some garlic powder and cilantro instead of parsley. Cooked on each side 5 minutes. Delicious!
May 2, 2017
Made these with some leftover bacon mashed potatoes. They were good, I usually add half flour and half cornmeal to mine and I like that combination better. I also used a whole egg instead of whites. Good way to use up a small amount of leftover mashed potatoes.
Feb 16, 2012
This recipe was fine, but I'm not sure it was worth the time to make since it didn't taste much different from just eating the mashed potatoes. I quadrupled the recipe to serve 5 people for two meals. It took forever to cook the 16 patties 4 at a time in the skillet. It just wasn't worth the effort for a whole family. I'd have been just as happy with straight-up mashed potatoes! We had it with meatloaf. Also, my 2 youngest kids wouldn't eat it any more than they eat mashed potatoes.
Nov 27, 2011
Loved the green onion and parsley. I doubled the batch, using just one whole egg. Depending on the consistency of your mashed potatoes, you'll need to adjust the flour. I had Yukon gold mashed potatoes, which were very creamy, so I added extra flour and bread crumbs so the cakes wouldn't fall apart.